Thursday, September 17, 2009

"End of Summer"

This was in response to a challenge for "End of Summer." I admit it's a bit dark.




The photographer snapped another picture.

FLASH.

"I love this time of year," he said, "don't you?"

His companion didn't answer, too overcome by the moment to speak.

"Parents are happy for vacation to be over."

FLASH.

"The children mourn the loss of their freedom as they head back to school."

FLASH.

"It's a time of transition, from one stage of existence to another." He snapped another picture.

FLASH.

Beep-Beep.

The camera indicated the memory card was full, so he popped open the cover, pulled out the old card, and slotted in a new one. He took a moment to check the light settings and made a few minor adjustments. His companion was patient through the process. He appreciated this about her. An artist should never be rushed.

"I was never too attached to any one season as a child," he continued.

FLASH.

"Each one held something unique to look forward too."

FLASH.

"Think about it: Autumn had a new school year, Halloween, and Thanksgiving. Winter included Valentine's Day and snowball fights, not to mention Christmas. Spring meant shedding winter clothes, Easter egg hunts and kite flying. And then there was Summer - the coveted break from school, picnics and beach trips."

FLASH.

"If you had asked me back then, I probably would have said that Summer was the best of the bunch. After all, the good times lasted for three whole months, while the other seasons only had certain times to look forward to."

FLASH.

"Ask about specific memories, though, and I'd have had equally good memories about each season. That's part of the reason I became a photographer."

FLASH.

"You see, as time goes on I find I remember less and less details about things. I have a general memory of feelings and such, but the visuals - the visuals never seem to stay with me unless I record them."

FLASH.

"Seasons come and go, you see, and after awhile, they begin to blur into each other, making it hard to separate them in memory. With pictures, I can remember each one as if it were yesterday."

FLASH.
FLASH.
FLASH.

He checked the scene once more. Had he captured it all? Yes, that should do it. He set down the camera and addressed his companion once more.

"I have to thank you for being with me on this journey. Yours is a Summer I will recall fondly years to come. Sadly, our time together is coming to a close."

She spoke then, or tried to, but all that escaped was a muffled sob. A tear rolled down a cheek that was already wet and red.

"Yes, it saddens me, too," he said, catching the tear on the edge of his blade. "But time moves on. It is time for Summer to end."

One quick motion of the blade and it was over.

He pocketed the knife and retrieved the camera. His heart ached a bit as it always did at the passing of a season. It hurt when one was gone. Still - he patted the camera - he had his memories. There was no use crying over what was spilt. Not when another season awaited.

He closed the door behind him as he moved to the next room. His companion was already there.

"Hello, dearest Autumn," he said, readying the camera. "Let's get acquainted, shall we? Our time is so short. Fall will be gone before we know it."

No comments: